White gourd lamp project

Thursday, May 28, 2015


I have been crushing on some rooms I've seen on Pinterest lately, all featuring matching awesome white gourd lamps next to the bedside. 

 (source)  (source)

I scoured the web for some affordable options, but they are all in the high price range (to me at least!!) Here are a few silhouettes that I loved.
1.  23

So, with one goal in mind, I've kept my eye out for the perfect gourd lamp that I could paint and make my own. Enter these two special numbers:
I got these guys at Gordmans for about $30 each. (same place I got my urns!) More than I wanted to spend for a DIY project, but most definitely under the $300 price range of the ones I found online. The eight and shape worked, and they were new, so I did not have to worry about old faulty wiring/etc.
I set out the lamps in my basement and went to work with some Zinsser primer, and Rustoleum white paint.
I also sprayed the finials gold using the Lowe's brand gold paint. Next, I used Rub 'n Buff in Antique Gold and rubbed it on the finials.
 (Left has rub 'n buff. Right does not). I am not crazy about this stuff and it smells horrible, but what is done is done!
 I got the lampshades from Ikea a few years ago and they were just sitting around. I cannot recall which ones they were.
 I rubbed the rub 'n buff on these as well and let them dry for about two days before putting it all together.
 And here is how it looks all together!

I am really happy with how they came out, and extra happy that I only paid $30 for each lamp, plus the cost of paint supplies.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)